Monday 20 June 2016

Sisterlock vs Micolocks

I know I promised to discuss how I managed to make a decision of microlocks over sisterlocks but I thought it would be too long for one post so I split them up. Today, I will be answering the most asked locing question - what is the difference between microlocks and sisterlocks? Answers are often confusing and sometimes misleading. Many people believe sisterlocks and microlocks are the same thing but they aren't. 

All sisterlocks may be microlocks but all microlocks are not sisterlocks.

Confused? Well continue reading.

Microlocs are classified as any loc smaller than the size of a pencil. Sisterlocks are a form of microlocks trademarked by its creator and has even been called a lifestyle. 

There are rules and guidelines for every aspect of sisterlocks. Only a sisterlock consultant or trainee can install sisterlocks based on a specific grid pattern taught by the company, using the sisterlocks tool. The loc must be maintained using the sisterlock (interlocking) method. Using as few products as possible is emphasised mainly shampoo, and conditioner for the mature locs.

These restrictions are not placed on microlocks. In fact, apart from the size there is no other requirements needed to be able to refer to locs as micro. Microlocks can be started with twists, braids, coils, interlocking and extensions. Maintenance can be done with palm tolling or interlocking. Any product you feel like trying can be used in your hair. Go nuts with it!

Simple enough, right?

So why are so many people confused?

Basically, it's the DIYers that confuse things. You can research DIY sisterlocks and find a lot of results for persons with microlocks installed by a friend or themselves to mimic the size and/or grid of sisterlocks. Many are started from twists, braids or using the interlocking method but none of them should be referred to as sisterlocks unless the installation is done by someone who has completed the sisterlocking course.


The next post will cover why I chose microlocks over sisterlocks.

Til then - Lata!



10 comments:

  1. Hello! I want you to know that I have viewed all of your post. Thank you for the time and energy you gave to keeping this blog going. You have taught me much about something I knew very little about. I am considering locking my hair. Sister locks draw me in. Because of you I now know how much time, energy and cost it takes to keep a locked hairstyle. I am still learning my hair although I have been natural for many years. I am still looking for the perfect hair care products for this thick and course 4C hair texture. One day I will get it all together. I figured locks would take that worry away. Girlfriend you have shown me the opposite. I will take more time before making this jump. I am not into doing my own hair (at all) so I need to decide how much personal time I want to sit in someone’s chair (which I also do not like) to achieve a gorgeous head of flowing locks. Not sure I am ready for all that. However, my point is...thank you! I pray your shoulder pain is better and that you can proceed as you want. Blessings to you my sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This is so totally me. You just spoke my whole mind. I've been considering sisterlocs, but might just do micro. I want a hair style that wouldn't take my time or see me going to the salon.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this post! You have helped my understanding of micro vs. sister locs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right Kila! This post is simple and precise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for explaining the difference.I am going for the micro locs. I have been contemplating this over a year and now I know what to do. Have a blessed Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great explanation thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for this post.

      Is there a particular grid pattern to follow for microlocs?

      Delete
  6. If you have sisterlock can you turn them into microlock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect explanation. Watching utubers confuses the hell out of folks.. nost don't have a clue.on account of that rubbish most af them are telling people I completely stop watching utube.znd beside their videos are entirely to damn long.. just get to the point.
    Nonsense!

    ReplyDelete