Monday 4 July 2016

Styling Challenges

Since my installation I have been less than enthusiastic about styling my hair. For the past two to three years I have had locs midway down my back and learned a lot of styles to get that hair away from my neck. With these microlocks my go to style is a side parted cork screw (bantu knot) out. It has only been the last week or so where I tried a braid out and a mini roll on one side.

Right now I am feeling meh about the whole styling thing. Don't get me wrong. It isn't that I don't know how to style short locs, it is simply that I don't want to put too much effort into it. I have not been able to truly enjoy having hair barely long enough to reach my shoulders without doing some major manipulation beforehand. I love not having to do much to get ready for work. I love not spending hours experimenting with styles I regret almost immediately. Right now I am just enjoying my new found freedom. 

In the mean time I have attempted to start my sister's locs and have been styling them frequently for her. Since her hair naturally sticks up I am left trying to force it into a style that makes her look decent. She has more traditional locs but I am tempted to restart the entire process with larger locs like she had originally wanted but we'll see. I am tired dealing with hair when I don't have to so I'm taking this time to relax before they styling bug hits. 

The problem with microlocks is that there are no real styling tutorials specific to one type. The term micro covers so much that finding someone with a similar size of locs is difficult if not impossible. Maybe I will continue my attempts to make YouTube videos to give others like myself an opportunity to follow someone with similar sized locks. Or maybe not.

Til next time - Lata

No comments:

Post a Comment