Thursday 22 February 2018

A Whole Lot of Meh

Last year I planned a huge celebration blog celebrating my one year loc-aversary but the date came and went and I was disappointed. My locs were still unravelling every month, very few of them looked like locs and I could not be bothered to do much with them. That feeling has continued for more than six months. Overall, the excitement has waned leaving me feeling pretty meh about the whole affair.


Don't get me wrong, I still love locs. I love not having to comb my hair, I love waking up and shaking out my hair before walking through the door. My issue lies in the lack of visible progress. My hair does not look or feel any longer than when I started even though I have been told it looks that way. (I knew what my length was before the shrinkage and my hair is now back at that length without me having to stretch it.) My hair is losing it's bounce factor and retaining more water, I can stretch the length between retightenings by a week or two. I am seeing progress but it is so gradual that I barely notice and the things I am most looking forward to, don't seem to be happening.

I mean Houdini is still there. He has taught his neighbours his tricks and they are now performing them on a monthly basis. It's disheartening to see so much change but yet it still feels the same as before. Every month that passes, leaves me less hopefull that I will be fully loc'd by my two year anniversary. Whenever I feel like this I remind myself that my first set of locs took almost two years for other people to even notice I had locs and I watch P31Diva on YouTube to make myself feel better. She has had her sisterlocks for about three years and she is still having the issues I am experiencing. So for all of you feeling like me, hang in there! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

June 2016
February 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment